Monday, September 9, 2013

Too Boring to Come Up With a Title...

          I'm Alexandra Bourekas, and the other day at work, one of my coworkers asked me what my hobbies are on my time off. He already knew I was a media major at Hunter, and he already knew that I work two jobs to support my living costs, but he wanted to know what else there was to me. I scrambled for an answer but couldn't actually find one. At that moment, I was left saying, "I don't really have any hobbies. I guess I'm just too boring." The truth is that most of my free time is spent lounging at home and doing nothing in particular. Growing up, my mother had signed me up for the basketball team and several dance classes, but those were short lived, since that my grades were constantly slipping. In order to manage my "ADD," I was consistently consumed with extra tutoring and practice, leaving no time for me to actually have a hobby.
          Although I don't have any particular hobbies, that's not to say that I don't have interests. For one, I'm obsessed with trivial information. I love learning about things that the average person wouldn't initially know or need to know, and I'm talking really unnecessary information. For example, I recently wondered why most people get runny noses while crying and decided to do some online research, because I had nothing better to do. I found out it actually happens because the eyes can't retain all the fluid, causing the excess fluid to exit out the nose. The point is I love to learn as much as I can so that I keep my mind exercised and further my knowledge. I guess you can say that's a hobby of mine.
         Another interest of mine are animals. If I had the choice, my house would probably look like a zoo, but for now I only have two pets, a Shih Tzu and a parrot. People don't initially know this, but I'm obsessed with my pets. To me, having a pet is the equivalent of having children, in the sense that I get to see them grow up from babies. Along with health purposes, having pets has influenced me to become a vegetarian. That doesn't mean I look up to PETA in any way or form. I find them to be weird and irritating. Basically, this clip from South Park sums up how I view them. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wwm5UcGJ5wY Going back to vegetarianism, I've been trying to transition to veganism, but it hasn't been the easiest journey. I've been attempting since four years ago and will go months without dairy, only to relapse again. Hopefully, I'll see the day when I put down that pizza slice.
          Lastly, I want to talk about my major in Media. I chose the major unexpectedly, because for several semesters I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do with my career path. I have two cousins who work for television networks and have always admired what they do, but it didn't hit me that this field would be for me until I took a media class as an elective. Media is and always will be my life, whether I love it or hate it, and I'm sure this goes for many others. What's interesting is that I was considering being a psychology major so I could understand people, but through this new major I'm understanding people more than I ever have before. Psychology classes were all about complicated theories that would go in through one ear and out the other, but with media I'm able to understand people's mentalities better, considering that students in this major need to know what sells and catches their interest. I don't really use social media, which taboo for a person trying to get a job in the field, but I'll work on that.




No comments:

Post a Comment