Saturday, October 19, 2013

Body Image and Health


Having anything in excess is never good.  This would include an obsession with self body image ways to change our bodies unhealthily to achieve this perfect body.  I would like to be a pharmacist one day, therefore, this project will be partially research based with scientific data.  I intent to create this media through a small magazine that patients can read during their wait for medication or even to grab and go.


In this magazine, I plan to incorporate images from ads that people are familiar with, whether they are present in television commercials, public transportation, or even magazines.  I plan to incorporate some examples and points brought up in Bordo's "Hunger Is Ideology."  I want to refer to his point about societies' double standards towards women and food.  I want to challenge the reader about different body types and how they are all beautiful, not just the hourglass figure media perceives it to be.  I want to show the readers statistics on the amount of young women who are influenced by all of this as well as rates of anorexia, bulimia, melanoma, and plastic surgery being conducted.


I also want to include magazine covers about losing weight in an X number of days and celebrity diets.  Many of these tabloids attract women and it makes them feel like they can do it because their favorite celebrity did it.  However, these methods do not work for the average American.  This affects the way we view our own bodies and our health choices.  The magazine cover shown above shows how misleading media is with their information.  The photo of Kourtney Kardashian on the left shows her pregnant and the photo on the right shows her after the pregnancy, or perhaps even a photo they never released from before the pregnancy.  After you give birth, a substantial amount of weight will be lost.  However, this cover gives the idea that she lost a lot of weight really fast.  This cover also gives the public the idea that we should all be thin, so follow Kourtney's tips.




7 comments:

  1. For the last part, remember to be cautious of generalizing things when discussing this issue because there are also many healthy methods of obtaining a healthy weight. It is vital to incorporate the key points that differentiates a weight loss program healthy and unhealthy in order for your project to not appear as if you are simply discouraging people from using weight

    loss methods. As a science major, you should definitely recognize that there are various health benefits for maintaining a healthy weight. I believe that there should be a focus on discouraging unhealthy weight loss practices rather than a focus on discouraging weight loss as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, I think I will narrow my topic more with just mentioning media's views on weight and body image, healthy weight, and healthy living, and I will be cautious to make sure it doesn't seen like I am discouraging people from losing weight, because that is definitely not my intentions. Thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I deeply feel furious about the new drift towards promoting weight loss to post-baby body women. I believe in recent years, many women have been suffering with body pressures before and after pregnancy. I think perhaps, you can focus more on the body image of pregnant women in media.

    Here are some links of short articles that talks and criticizes about how pregnant women feel about their body image (negatively) ,and how this new "Pregorexia" phenomenon affects us;

    http://www.adiosbarbie.com/2012/03/im-pregnant-but-i-just-feel-fat/

    http://www.adiosbarbie.com/2012/08/pregorexia-are-celebrities-really-to-blame/

    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/07/22/celebrity-pregnancies-eating-disorders_n_1692641.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. These weight loss magazine covers are good to talk about. Personally, I can't stand having to see these in the super market or grocery store. The Kardashians, for example, have been on magazine covers numerous times, claiming that they finally found the answer to weight loss, and honestly it's always the same answer with these celebrities; how they finally caught up with their work regimen and started eating in moderation. Then you find these same celebs gaining all the weight back, and when they lose it, they land the cover of a magazine that reveals their before and after pictures. It's actually ridiculous and comes to show that there is no diet that can permanently save you. Its all about living the healthy lifestyle, and these celebrities seem to be on yo-yo diets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, can you email me ? I never got anything from you. Email: rodriguezkl88@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That ad with the emaciated girl looking in the mirror to see a heavier version of herself has never sat well with me. I understand the intention of it, but I feel it's counterproductive because if a woman or girl that is the same size as the girl in the reflection sees that, it could be detrimental to her own body image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Call me or email me please!! RODRIGUEZKL88@GMAIL.COM, RODRIGUEZKL@HOTMAIL.COM OR CALL/TEXT 8605144345. I am going to start posting what I have done onto the blog tonight but I wanna know what you and Brandon have too. I will also be at school early tomorrow if you wanna meet. I will be there around 11am. Let me know please, I want us to be prepared and do well!!

    ReplyDelete