Saturday, November 16, 2013

Post 5

Evolution Triptych

In the late 70s a young female graffiti artist emerged from the male dominated scene. She called herself Lady and eventually "Pink" was added on by her peers, she says, "For graffiti artists, the letters of the name have to look good for your signature. With Pink, the 'K' kicks out and the 'I' can be dotted with all kinds of symbols like hearts." (Ruhling). She had always enjoyed painting but also enjoyed the thrill and excitement that came with graffiti and tagging subway cars and hiding from the cops so she wouldn't get caught. 
Lady of the Leaf

She gained a large amount of recognition for her work, her paintings were displayed in museums and selling. Her works are often vivid and colorful with a range of subject matter. "My inspiration comes from real-life experiences and emotions, […] I tackle social issues like gay bashing and women's equality." (Ruhling). She and her husband are now mural artists. They also work in their communities, mentoring and holding workshops.

Lady Pink in a Jenny Holzer T-Shirt


"When I first started, women were still trying to prove themselves, through the 70's, that women could do everything guys could do. The feminist movement was growing very strong and as a teenager I think it affected me without me realizing that I was a young feminist. The more guys said 'you can't do that', the more I had to prove them wrong. I had to hold it up for all my sisters who looked up to me to be brave and courageous and to prove that I could do what guys could do. We defend our artworks with our fists and our crazy courage. When you have guys that disrespect you you're gonna have to teach them a lesson, otherwise they are going to keep walking all over you. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is out there, it's not easy. But it also reflects what the art world in general is: 80% white males. So you have to fight tooth and nail, bitch and scream, be loud and be large to get respect." - Lady Pink

Women, War and Peace
Works Cited
"Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art: Feminist Art Base: Lady Pink." Brooklyn Museum:. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Nov. 2013. <http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/eascfa/feminist_art_base/gallery/lady_pink.php>.

Ruhling, Nancy. "Astoria Characters: The 'Pink' Painter." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 02 Jan. 2013. Web. 16 Nov. 2013. <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nancy-ruhling/astoria-characters-lady-pink-graffiti_b_2129141.html>.

No comments:

Post a Comment